Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Tale of More Money More Work

I began my first blog in August 2007. I believe that was the last time I blogged as well. I'm off to a new start and I'm going to give this blogging thing another try for 2008.

I enjoy reading other writers' blogs. I find reading blogs to be very interesting and I also find myself thinking, hey I thought of that why didn't I also write about it? I have so much time on my hands now with my new job and all.

I interviewed and was hired by this company three months to the day tomorrow. This has been a long three months. I know you are probably thinking I was busy learning new things and becoming familiar with the organization, however this is not the case.

I can honestly say I make decent money but of course we always want and feel we deserve more money. I am a frustrated Executive Admin Assistant. I am not frustrated because I am an Admin, I am frustrated because I have no work. A normal day here at the office is to come in eat breakfast, check my work email (because we can't check outside email) and sit and stare at the computer for the rest of the day.

I'm almost certain you are thinking "why don't you ask for work"? Well, if I do that then there is a big possibility I will upset more then a few other Admin's. I ask for things to do from the "team" I support, however, I don't want busy work.

I want to be productive. I have talent and skill that are not being utilized, which is something that was important enough for me to mention during the interview before accepting the position. I guess it wasn't equally as important for him to mention that my skills and talent wouldn't pertain to this job anymore then they did at my last position with another company.

I would love to feel like I've accomplished something at the end of my day. It wouldn't be necessary to be busy all of the time, but four days max out of a five day work week would be good. It's funny one of the guys I support told me that this position was between me and another candidate.

I believe the other candidate at the time was the one that was going to be hired until she became a stalker. She began calling them everyday. I thought I was lucky to get this position I think she turned out to be the lucky one.

I spend my day eating, an attempt at healthy of course and checking different websites to find a new place to call home.

I never want to be too comfortable with a salary and a paycheck to say I don't desire more money. More money more work. That statement isn't necessarily a true statement. I would however take a chance again on "more money". I'm considering looking for a new position as I type. I'm not a job hopper so it's hard for me to grasp going thru the interview process in such a short period of time.

Do I feel secure in this job? I most certainly do. I was clever enough to do my research before considering taking the offer and I was also savvy enough to ask during the interview process. This company hasn't had any layoffs in over 10yrs. Why? It's an internationally based company with secure financials. I'm not saying that layoff can't happen what I am saying is my chances are better here then with any other company for the moment. I'm still disposable. I'm not comfortable but then again I don't want to be, when you reach a certain comfort level you never desire to do any more then what you are comfortable with. I'm sure that will make sense to some.

I take home more money but I definately don't earn it the way one normally should earn a paycheck. A normal day for me is to eat breakfast, check my work email and if I'm lucky I will get to do expenses for one of the people I support.

A friend of mine says "I never heard of anyone complain about not having any work". I guess to some I shouldn't complain but to those of us that don't mind hard work it would be a problem, at the very least it would be frustrating.

I find it's frustrating to sit in mediocrity. I would like to feel validated at work when I am working. When I am not working I don't need validation my job doesn't validate who I am as a person, it's what I do not who I am.

Another example is when I am at home being a Mom, I know I'm a mom and I know I'm doing my own best job thru faith and love, I feel validated because my daughter is getting good grades, she is a good 'tween thus far..lol.. she is respectful and smart. That feels good, I feel validated.

When I put myself to task I have my own expectations of excellence and I don't worry about what other people think. I'm hard enough on myself, so who cares what anyone else thinks about me.

I am willing to take other suggestions, but right now in my spare time here I will improve my writing skills by writing every day for at least an hour. Writing is important to me. Words are important to me. They have affect and effect on others.

I actually have one hour to write here and one hour to work my other writing. I can commit to two hours because I have that much time. I am also considering brushing up on my Spanish, that might be a little difficult to do here. I think I should at least attain a good understanding for the English language first. We shall see.

Until next time......

mind (mnd)n.
1. The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.
2. The principle of intelligence; the spirit of consciousness regarded as an aspect of reality.
3. The faculty of thinking, reasoning, and applying knowledge: Follow your mind, not your heart.
4. A person of great mental ability

No comments: