Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Affect vs. Effect

Today I woke up refreshed, revitalized and rested. It is amazing what a good night's sleep and rest does for the mind and body. I am not what you call a well-rested person, I wake up in the middle of the night several times just to look at the clock and realize I had only been asleep for an hour past the last time I checked the clock. Why? I have no concrete reason as to why but I have my guesses.

I grab on to sleep when I can, I've noticed that I am taking naps. I like to call them power naps. I wake up emotionally cleansed. I don't believe I had taken a nap since I was an infant. I do know that it feels good to feel rested. There is a difference between sleep and rest and I think I am finally getting the hang of doing both at night at the same time.

Anyway, in my last blog I was discussing my job and today is my official "probationary period over day". I don't feel any different; there were no horns or confetti. However, one of my bosses who is in a high level position received a call today from his girlfriend. I've done personal things for my boss that have involved purchases or the planning of an event for his girlfriend.
However,the time I have been here this is the first I've answered a call from her so essentially this is the first I've heard her voice.

So I answer the phone and let her know that he is in a meeting. I'll call her Maya; Maya asks if this is Champagne (not my real name) I respond, yes it is Maya. She proceeds to thank me for taking care of "my boss" during the day and he speaks very highly of me, he said, "I am the most professional person he has ever had as an Assistant and I have a great attitude". "She looks forward to and can't wait to meet me in person." She said more but I won't break my arm patting myself on the back. *smile*

I told her I appreciated her letting me know that. She mentioned how he appreciates me and he speaks of me often. I thanked her again. I was mildly embarrassed because I don't take compliments well; but those are my issues. I took the compliments and kind words and added them to how great I have been feeling lately.

I feel a breakthrough coming on and that my life is about to accelerate upward. When you feel good you look good. I feel great and when you feel great you attract different types of people. I don't mean that in a physical way however true that is as well. I mean it's the "Law of Attraction" what you feel and meditate on in your mind will exude outward even if you try to conceal it.

It will show in the type of people you meet, in the everyday things that happen in your life. It will show in the people that want to be in your presence as well.It's that small faith or hope that things will get better which if goes un-concealed around the right person it will take over and you will have attracted a small piece of happy; which eventually leads to a larger piece and so forth. Most successes have been built on failure, it's the persistant struggle AGAINST discouragement. One fails forward to success with persistance.

It doesn't matter what is going on in your life. If you worry on it too much and over plan for the future you can't get the answers that you need for the right now.

I don't want to leave behind a legacy of "oh she had so many plans" I want people to remember what I had done in the now, what I am doing. (Note to self: take a damn vacation) Think about it this way, have you ever been to a funeral and the funeral director asks if "anyone has anything to say" but no one steps up. Then there is that one person that is bold enough to get up because he was the person in the room that was more embarrassed then any of the rest to take a step on faith and say something nice about the deceased. He gets up and pulls whatever memory out of a hat usually nothing too spectacular. Why is that? Is it because the deceased didn't have a real impact on anyone?

There is nothing wrong with being average as long as YOU are happy! IF that is the only thing that someone can say about you then that is fine as well. "She was happy, I never saw her without a smile" that statement right there would prompt more then a few melancholy chuckles of "that's true".

The other perspective is the one who has a line of people waiting to say something about the deceased. The loss is greater then the reality that they are not of the flesh anymore. While living that person had an affect on those around them and those whom they came in contact. The effect of the loss is so great that people want it to be known how touched they were.

The appreciators of your presence will be forever present in the mind and hearts of those you knew. Your footprints on someone elses heart I guess.

We can have all the material things in life and still not be happy, we can have nothing at all and people will look in wonder and amazement and question what it is that person has going on to be happy about?

I'm not saying worry about what people are thinking; who cares?! I'm saying, pray, live and love from within and it will exude outward. You never know who is watching or what people are thinking.

We all love compliments it's human. No matter what your circumstances we all have stuff going on sometime. But if you can make one impression make it a good one and in return it will come back to you; maybe in the form of a compliment.

Remember, there is always someone doing worse then you, feeling worse then you, so just when you think you have problems look around you. You never know what anyone is thinking or feeling for that fact. But the affect of your mood has an impact effective to others around you be it stranger or someone you are familiar.

af·fect
–verb (used with object)
1. to act on; produce an effect or change in
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of

ef·fect
–noun
1. power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence
2. meaning or sense; purpose or intention
3. a mental or emotional impression produced

No comments: