Friday, February 1, 2008

OBLIGATION

Do you feel obligated to family, friends or work?

If a close family member or close friend needed help with moving or finances would you extend an offer to help?

Would you help out of obligation or would you help without thought of anything else but rather to help the individual? Would you limit or put

Or if we reverse the same instance and you were the one in need, would you consider there are conditions to the help you receive?

I'm just throwing things around, wondering and analyzing over the years how many times somene has hinted or asked for help of me and I asked? Why? I mean you do ask the important questions that are relevant to your time and money.

How much time do you need if it wasn't stated, how much do you want to borrow if it wasn't stated in the initial question and what date am I getting it back? Those are important questions....

Is it ok for you to ask how much can you help me with? Would that prompt an automatic how much do you have and need from me? Remember this is someone that is close to you. Money sometime hurts relationships it causes a divide between people if it isn't handled like business from beginning to end.

I don't mind being asked for help or assistance if you don't mind me giving you an honest answer that is fair to me and in my best interest not yours.

If there are conditions, pre-requisites, requirements they should be stated before the handshake. This is just me and how I roll.

It's also equally funny that because you have known someone for a long period of time they feel that you are obligated to be friends with them because you have history. I can put it like this, if I'm in a bad marriage, we are either going to work it out, notice I said we or we are going to divorce mutually agreed or not.

Either way something will come to a head. Now is it in turn your obligation to make it work because you signed the paper and said I do and confessed undying love forever? That's up to you the individual. You are going to do what's best for you , what your heart tells you to do or what's best for the kids or whatever.

What you might not do is extend hope when there is none. It is your obligation not to mislead anyone into otherwise thinking or holding on to hope.

obligation

noun
1. the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force; "we must instill a sense of duty in our children"; "every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty"- John D.Rockefeller Jr [syn: duty]
2. the state of being obligated to do or pay something; "he is under an obligation to finish the job"
3. a personal relation in which one is indebted for a service or favor
4. a written promise to repay a debt

No comments: